[nagdu] Intro and Pondering a Second Guide

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Thu Nov 20 13:22:14 UTC 2014

Hi Joe,
Welcome back to the list! My name is Deanna and I live in Ohio with Pascal, my black lab from Guide Dogs for the Blind. Pascal is only 7, but he will be retiring soon, due to fear and anxiety issues. He has been a great guide dog overall, yes there were some rough patches, but it is still really hard on me to retire him early. I am returning to GDB in March for a new guide dog.  I can understand your apprehension that your new dog may have similar health problems, believe me, I worry that my next dog will have fear and anxiety issues too. Or else something totally unexpected.
 I can understand how you feel about the education and access denial issues, they are very stressful and we shouldn't have to deal with such things nowadays.
Personally, I consider myself a good cane traveler, I can get where I need to go and accomplish things that need to be done. But, when out walking with my cane, it seems more like a chore. With my dog (at his best), I can breeze by and I actually enjoy getting out and walking places. Yes, the general public can be a pain in the you know what, but the freedom that a guide dog brings is worth it to me.
I can imagine that after a 3 year break between a dog, it can be difficult to picture one in your life again. I felt sorry for myself for having to wait several months between dogs. Over that time, I was worried that I would forget how to work a dog, LOL.
I wish you the best of luck with your decision!
Deanna and Pascal