[nagdu] Obedience

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Nov 20 16:57:00 UTC 2014

Tracy,

He's eager to please, huh? Sounds like a great kid you've got.

Do you use food rewards in your obedience practice? Click with or
without food reward? Praise? Timing is different somewhat with different
reinforcers, so that's why I ask. When I'm doing daily obedience review,
I use treats liberally, especially with the younger dogs. Mitzi will
sometimes take the treats, sometimes not, especially if they are not up
to her discriminating standards. /lol/ Zay the mutt is food motivated,
so if I were serious about training her for work, I would have to work
to wean her off treats. Loki poodle thinks it's all a game, but he, too,
is starting to want to skip the treats and move on to fun stuff. So I'm
not worrying about whether I should remove treats from our obedience
game or not. I haven't been using the clicker with him because at first
I couldn't really tell when he was sitting or what and because I have
sloppy clicker habits. /lol/

Okay. So what I would do using food rewards to teach the dog to wait for
my command is to simply withhold the reward for the behaviors that are
done before the command. There's also zen, where you teach the dog to
wait for the treat in your hand. It can also help teach food refusal, so
if you're interested, I can describe it or refer you to someone who
describes it better. /smile/

To keep things interesting and to keep the dog from going through the
routine by rote, I change the order of what I ask, as well as the
location. And I just do short sessions -- one repetition for the
poodles, although Zay could use more than that. Having the three get
involved can make things fun as they compete, so we do that sometimes
throughout the day. I do a lot of silly stupid stuff and say whatever
idiot thing comes to mind in my happy voice, too, to keep them (and me)
entertained by it all. It's hard to be original in expressing how
inexpressably happy I am that my dog just sat on command, but the
poodles love happy praise, and I love happy poodles, so I hope there are
no hidden cameras in my home. /lol/

Which reminds me... I was doing obedience review in the yard when we
would go out before breakfast and at other times, but now I need to get
in the habit of doing it regularly indoors. My kiddo is getting to be a
teenager, so this is not the time for me to fall down on the job!

Tami