[nagdu] Coconut oil vs. canned pumpkin RE: Why i can't feed my dog raw.

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 04:56:22 UTC 2014

Deanna,
The first thing to know about poop is that it is normal for it to be
different from day to day, or from every few days, or from meal to
meal. Everyone's output differs according to their input. My dog has
looser stool when he eats fattier meats, has soft stool on certain
boneless meats, and has perfectly firm stool on other proteins. Also,
if the body is trying to get rid of something, stuff might get sloppy
for a couple days.
Needing to firm up the stool should not be a concern. Instead, the
concern should be what the loose stool says about what's happening
inside. Has the dog eaten something different lately? Is the dog's
body throwing off a bug? Did the dog just have a particularly rough or
exciting day? All these things matter. Adding pumpkin doesn't affect
those factors in the least. And I will never promote feeding
biologically inappropriate stuff for maintenance or therapeutic
purposes.
Pumpkin can produce firm stool depending on what the dog has going on.
For instance, my dog had giardia earlier this year. There was no fruit
that could firm up his stool.
In my opinion, adding pumpkin to the food is slapping a Band-aid over
the problem. You end up thinking everything's good because you can't
see the loose stool
anymore. Meanwhile, something could be happening inside that's not
being properly addressed. For instance, if a dog can't get firm stool
on his current food because of a bug, sensitivity, or lack of
something important, a diet change should be in order, or proper
protocol should be taken to address the bug.

I have never heard of coconut oil firming up stool. I'm not saying it
can't or won't, just that I've never heard this before. I know it is
antimicrobial, antiviral, and such, but never heard of it firming up
stool. It is a healthy thing for your dog to eat, though it contains
Omega-6. As I've said in an email on an earlier post, the standard
diet for dogs and people is already high in Omega-6. The problem with
this is that omega-6 feeds inflammation. This is why a great number of
people and dogs nowadays have cancer, allergies, immune deficiencies,
and other disorders caused by inflammation. If you give coconut oil,
be sure to give a proper fish oil supplement as well. The ideal diet
is more balanced in general, but especially in omegas. A dog fed raw
meat, bones and organs has a diet balanced in essential fats.
--
Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.