[nagdu] getting around in places you don't know

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:12:09 UTC 2014

Hi Stephanie,
I am too deaf blind, with very little usable hearing, and no vision. I use a combination of techniques that others have suggested, it really dependents on where I am going. My issue is that when I do ask the public I can not hear the responses to my questions. So I carry around a card, with the words, Yes and No in large print, at the top it says I am blind and deaf, if they placce my finger on the answer. I have also brailled the yes and No, so that I know which is which. So when I am out, I get the attention of someone I need to ask a question. I expalin verbally that I can't hear or see, but I need directions. Now this requires that I have a general idea of where I am. I will ask very specific questions in which they need to answer yes or no. Like for example, "Am on I facing 3rd street?" if I do not get a clear answer, then I make it more specific. Like, "the street in front of me is 3rd street?" Or this can be used like, the doors to inside the building are this way, (pointing)?" I also wear a button, that says I am blind and deaf, granted most of the public does not know what to do with that, but I then explain. I also use the street crossing cards. If I need to have a conversation with someone, I will use my Iphone with a braille display. I also have communication cards. that say something to the effect, I am deafblind, can you help me find, (fill in the blank). I am telling you all of this because getting information from the public is important. I would also say that you should look into organizations or agencies who provide services for persons who are deafblind, I know that there are other deafblind persons in your country. It also helps that , my dog is very good at finding stairs, doors, and will alert when someone is close to me. I would also say, that calling a business, if that is where your going, ahead of time would help. then you could ask specific questions of where they are located. I am not able to use the phone, so this would not work for me. I also use GPS sometimes.
I hope some of this helps,

Marsha drenth
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.