[nagdu] message to blind musicians: adaptive sightreading

Emily Michael emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 16:48:46 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Here is yet another query for blind or visually impaired musicians!

I’m a singer with low vision, and I’m able to sightread if I hold the music very close. Though I feel confident about my ability to read music, I learn more quickly by ear. However, I’m forming a barbershop quartet with dreams of entering regional and international competition. This means that I will need to pay close attention to the written music – at least in the early stages of learning repertoire.

So my questions for you are these:
1. If you read print music, have you developed ways of navigating it with low vision? Do you annotate in different colors, enlarge your music, etc? Please share!
2. If you read braille music, was it easy to learn?
3. Has anyone gone from print to braille music? Was it an easy transition?

If you have any other tips for making printed music blind-friendly, please share!

With best,
Emily

---
Emily K. Michael
emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Blog: http://areyouseeingthis.wordpress.com/

"Nowhere, Love, will world exist but within."
- Rainer Maria Rilke