[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Fri Nov 28 16:05:28 UTC 2014

Well, there’s the textbook answer, and then there’s real life.

Textbook:
“He’s working right now, so please do not pet him or talk to him, because that will distract him, and that could be dangerous. Moreover, such attention from others over time could lead to future problems, so please just ignore him, I’d appreciate it.”

Real life:
“Get your !@#$%^^!#@##%@%#$!@!!!!!ing hands off my dog!”
(This after approximately the 48,923,875th such encounter during the past week.)

So…yeah…take your pick.

My reaction usually falls somewhere between these extremes. Although the other thing is, you probably want to focus less on discouraging others from petting (a losing battle) and more on discouraging your dog from reacting (something more under your control).

—
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Mobile: 814-431-0962