[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Nov 28 18:01:47 UTC 2014

Craig,

I think it's as you say: The focus is safety and what message the dog
gets if you do or do not allow petting.

I've found that doing what I call a "controlled greet" is the compromise
that works best for my current dog. I do this whether I'm standing
around, sitting and relaxing with her, in or out of harness, whatever.

She's fairly reserved and safety-conscious and would rather people don't
approach her, especially when I'm asking them not to. When she was
young, the stress of having people persist in trying to get their hands
on her anyway would make her sick. So I changed tactics, and we found a
way to deal that was more comfortable for both of us and allowed me to
control the situation and to protect her from determined petters when
she absolutely does not want the attention. If she's okay with a
controlled greeting, then I can keep it more manageable. Usually.

We do the same when she's out of harness. I'm a bit more liberal in my
willingness to allow the greeting, but ultimately it depends on how
reserved or not she is being at the time. The downside of my training
her to do it this way and to be okay accepting attention is that she
will sometimes go into floozy mode and initiate greetings, which takes
me by surprise. I've found she only initiates with people who want to be
greeted, and I often suspect they've been giving her the come-hither,
but still! It's not proper etiquette!

Loki, my pup in training, is totally friendly, so I'm thinking with him
I can do things differently and more the way I would actually prefer,
but we shall see. For now the trick is teaching him that he doesn't need
to express his great love and affection for absolutely everyone while
fostering his confidence around people. I'm aiming for relaxed and
comfortable with the range of human interactions he will need to field
while he's working, but not seeking attention. I'm also wondering how
the attention will differ, since he's going to be quite a large black
poodle whereas Mitzi is smallish. Maybe people will be less inclined to
stick their hands in his face in the first place? Can I hope?

Mitzi can greet and get back to work, so I don't have to worry about
that part of it. Some dogs can't, and I'm wondering if Loki will be one
of those, since he is *so* friendly. If that is the case, then I will
have to be hard-line with petters.

Tami