[nagdu] petting guide dog question

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 18:28:49 UTC 2014

I'm a little different than most because I'm Deafblind, I cannot police the general public's interactions with my dog to the degree that a hearing person can.  Therefore, it is my responsibility to train my dog to the level that she polices herself.  If my dog likes other people's attention more than she likes work, then she is not a suitable dog to be my partner.  I'm alsoculturally Deafblind... We are, by necessary, a very tactile group.  My dog is going to be touched and probably petted by deafblind children, coworkers, etc. It's natural, if someone is using touch to navigate, say, around my chair, and they bump my dog to touch her. If she lost her head every time someone touched her or patted her as they passed, we'd have a big problem.
The same goes with people calling her name.  I use her name as part of the way I communicate with her, her name first, then a cue word like forward, or whtever. People are going to hear that, and people will call out to her, so I specifically built these situations into the training. And she will ignore it.
If I'm sitting somewhere, and a child or someone we know asks to say hi to her, I will usually allow it. She has a cue that means say hi, and a cue that means ok you are done, back to work.
These things are as important to me for my dog to learn as the act us guiding.
I think people have to decide what works for them. With first dogs, it's ok to try different approaches until you find what works for you, and what works for you may not work for the next guy.

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone