[nagdu] petting guide dog question

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 04:16:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

In addition to what has been said, you will probably find that you
don't want your meal, conversation, or alone work time interrupted by
the person who wants to pet your dog.  It is a distraction to us as
much as it would be for the dog.  I don't allow petting in harness
because I have a friendly Labrador who would be too distracted by it.
I am teaching him to ignore his name when called by others, and this
is going well.  I don't have patience for the fake name business that
people do with their dogs.

A note about the comment made about allowing blind people to pet the
dog...  I have also done this.  But I would be careful for those of
you who choose to do it at blindness conventions.  Our dogs are
already out of their element at a convention, and changing the rules
on them can be (depending on the dog) even more stressful for them.  I
think this contributed to my dog's inability to work by the end of the
week at national convention this year.  He was also new and out of his
element in general.  :)

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind performing arts division secretary,