[nagdu] licensing guides

Brett Sample samplebrett at icloud.com
Thu Oct 2 14:32:38 UTC 2014

This is an issue that seems ripe for litigation. Under the law if they charge you a fee for a service dog license it may well be a violation. One could argue the fee must be waived because the ADA does not require a service dog to be licensed and fee’s that normally apply to pets can’t be charged. Further the Government has declared service dogs are not pets but, they are medical equipment. So is the State or local Government going to require people to get a license for a wheelchair? If not then it might not hold up under equal protection under the law? The ADA should prevail because, it states that where there is a conflict between Federal Law and State or Local law the one that is a lesser burden to the disabled person prevails. I have no clue how a Court would rule on this and I am not against a License, I have one for Ziva, it was free and it also has the right to access law on it, so it can be a tool to help with access. I am also not a lawyer.

Food for thought,

Brett & Ziva