[nagdu] Doggie distraction... success?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 7 15:57:19 UTC 2014

Hi, Raven,

I think I have gotten a bit more insight into this issue, and why Jenny acts the way she does.  I know that part of it is her seeming easy distractability, and my response to it.  Yesterday, while waiting for the bus, another dog came walking down the sidewalk in our path.  She basically lost her head (this seems to happen more with smaller dogs), and I will admit that I didn't handle it well.  After a moment of clarity, I figured that next doggie distraction, I would act calmly but decisively.
This morning, on our way to a meeting at work, Jenny was excited about 20 feet from the office door.  Whether this was because she had to relieve, because she saw a coworker she really likes, or because of the little spitfire of a dog that really wanted to see her, I can't say for sure.  Jenny sniffed the other dog briefly, I told her to leave it, and off we walked toward her relieving spot.  Jenny did her business, but kept looking back at the other dog.  Got her refocused, and on we went.  VERY proud!

Daryl and Jenny