[nagdu] Dogs on left or right

Karyn & Thane bcpaws4me at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:26:40 UTC 2014

I don't think there is a right or wrong when it comes to which side a guide
or any dog for that matter is trained to walk on.

I have multiple disabilities. I use a power wheelchair and am left handed. I
use a power wheelchair with the control on the left side. Disability wise I
have more function with my left hand and especially more consistent control
that is required for controlling my power wheelchair which has nothing to do
with me being left handed but about how my disabilities affect my hand
stability and function.

I dont think any of you would want to encounter me in your path if I put the
control on the right just for the sake of training my guides on the left
giggle.

Needless to say, my dog works on the right side. Though he is an edge
walker, we do not fall off the side walk or constantly brush things. In fact
I think the only time we brush things is when we switch to a longer handle
after having used a short one for a long time. It only takes a few days
before we are on track and the brushing ends. I have to use a longer handle
when I get new wheelchair tires as it adds height and thus excess feel of
pull into harness even when there is no change in how Thane is working. If
he were a couple inches taller, this would not have the impact it does, but
he is on the short side.

Bottomline is, this is very individual. grin

Karyn