[nagdu] Separation anxiety

Amber M thetraveler87 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:14:50 UTC 2014

Good morning Alyssa,
I dealt with this with my first guide Yonkers, and I am to a certain extent, dealing with this with the guide I am currently training myself, who is still a 4 1/2 month old puppy. When I had Yonkers, I did not really know how to deal with it. I could not even go to the pool, even if I took him, with me, because he did not like me being in the water where he could not reach me.
What I have started doing that with Nina, and I cannot say that this will work with everyone, but it is a positive reinforcement method, is to put her in the crate, give her something fun to do, like a bone or toy, walk away far enough that I know it will set her up to be successful, where I know she will not wine yet. Stay at that place for just under the amount of time that I know it will be before she starts whining, click and then reward her with the opportunity to get out and be near me. I am slowly trying to extend the distance, or the time, alternating between those two things. That way she is not always feeling like I am going further and further away. Sometimes I do short amounts of time, so that is not predictable for her. So that she cannot start whining before I come back, because she think she knows how long I will be gone. It takes time, and it is not something that you can solve in five minutes, but it is something that can be overcome.
I would be glad to talk with you more about this if you would like. If not, I hope what I have shared helps.
Best,
Amber M

Sent from my iPhone