[nagdu] raw feeding

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 21:19:11 UTC 2014

Hi,
I have fed a raw diet for the last 14-ish years.  I get my dog's food from either a wholesale butcher who sells meat to restaurants, or the Asian market in my city, or sometimes at a regular grocery.  I have never fed a prepackaged raw diet.
I have switched at least 20 dogs to this diet, what with my dogs, my ex husband's dogs, dogs I train and foster etc.  And I have used the same method for all.  first I let the dog fast for 24 hours between the last feeding and starting raw.  Then I pick one kind of meat, chicken, turkey, etc, and stick just to that meat for at least a week.  I go with a larger piece at first because I want to know if the dog is a gulper.
If the dog is unwilling to eat it, I will do one of 2 things, either try with a small piece and let the dog explore and lick it while I hold it, or I will heat a pan with a little olive oil and will pop the meat in for just a few seconds on each side, not enough to cook the bones, but just enough to make the outside skin start to smell good.  If the dog still will not eat, then I will put it away and they will go hungry.  Perhaps the next day, they will be of a mind to eat what I put in front of them.
I am of the school of thought that picky eaters are made, not born, and dogs are not stupid, if they are hungry, they will eat, and if that is the rule from day one, then we all know the rules.
Good luck!

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com