[nagdu] Some People are Inconsiderate

Dudley Hanks dhanks at dudley-hanks.com
Mon Oct 13 23:31:22 UTC 2014

Re:  spitball chucker

Actually, it was a female, and I'm a largish male (6' 2", 230 plus pounds),
so slapping faces just isn't in the picture.

As for employment, she is professionally employed at a local university, but
the incidents had nothing to do with the university.  We both do volunteer
work for a separate non-profit organization.

And, going up the chain of command isn't that easy since she was the
committee chair at the time.

As I noted in a previous post, she is viewed by others as a "go getter" with
a hint of mischievousness, so one never knows if she is joking, or if she
suffers from a more serious disorder.

Interestingly, I ran into her at a local food court on the weekend.

I was standing in line at the McDonalds, and Mich was fidgeting more than
usual, and trying to turn around.

I'm a regular at the mall, and seldom have trouble, so I was a bit perplexed
as to why Mich was trying to turn around, sit behind me, etc.

When I got to the counter and placed my order, Mich gave a particularly hard
tug backwards, so I had to correct him.

Then, I heard the voice of this person say, "It's ok, Dudley, it's just
me..."

Then, she said, "I guess I shouldn't tease him."

I agreed, and told her that Mich would appreciate not having to be corrected
because of her silliness.

Having worked Guides for over two decades, I have long since quit marvelling
at how inconsiderate some sighted people can be.  It seems that blind people
are among the last members of society others feel free to poke fun at,
discriminate against, try to bully, and humiliate.  Perhaps it boils down to
that unpalatable mammalian instinct to exile or purge the ill and unfit.

I can only hope that the blind community will start to make strides towards
achieving the same increase in respect other socially-disadvantaged groups
have accomplished over the past few decades.

Regards,
Dudley, with Michener