[nagdu] Using a dog and raising one?

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:03:44 UTC 2014

Hi Raven,
I have done this several times, depending on my dogs.  I find that with the herding dogs I've raised and trained— Bc's, Aussies, GSD's etc, they do best if they have a more experienced dog with whom to work and model their behavior off of.
I have my dog working on the left and the SDIT on the right attached with a belt leash, just in case.  I first practice on foot, then bribe my friends into letting me practice in their car or van, and then once we have a groove down, I take it into primetime.
When I first moved to New Orleans, I was working a golden and training a BC, and had them everywhere with me until gradually the bc took over.  If you are going to do this, both of your dogs need to be almost invisable, very well behaved and work together with you in a seemless triad.  It takes lots of practice, and I know Meghan who was on this list has also done this with gsds.
I did not do this when training Soleil, as this method did not match her learning style.
Good luck! And welcome to the dirty south!

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com
Sent from my iPhone