[nagdu] Behaviour in public places

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Oct 19 20:56:01 UTC 2014

Lisa,

I have a new guide dog too and I hear you.  Jetta isn't much into staying
put for long meetings.  I put her under my chair, when that is possible,
with my feet on either side of her.  I can feel when she starts to fidget
and can remind her before she gets up.  I can't put the leash under my foot,
it is just physically difficult for me, so I drape the leash over my knee
and tuck it under my leg with just enough slack that it's not pulling on her
collar, but I can feel if she moves around.  I have also noticed with Jetta
if I put on her gentle leader head collar, even if I don't attach the leash
to it, the presence of the head  collar keeps her calmer. I also plan that
she'll need to move around about every hour and a half or she will really
start wiggling and no amount of intervention will get her to settle until
she's had an opportunity to get up and stretch.

My older guide can easily go for four hours with only minimal moving
periodically to get more comfortable.  I think with maturity and experience
Jetta will be able to go for longer.  I'm already seeing good improvement.

HTH
Julie