[nagdu] Behaviour in public places

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Oct 19 23:18:34 UTC 2014

Lisa,

	I think that a few different things may be happening. First, your
trainer is no longer there. Taylor  may be playing the game that most dogs
play where, as soon as the trainer leaves or you go home, the dog is testing
you to see if you have the same expectations as the trainer. You could work
on this at home by doing obedience with him. Try to work on the behaviors
that are most problematic, such as stay. Try to add motivations for him not
staying, such as food on the floor or other people coming in the room. Make
sure that you praise and/or reward him for doing the right thing. Once he
has that down, try going out in public, but make a trip specifically for
working with him. You could go to the café or something, but not actually
order anything, or, if you did, still focus more on working with Taylor. As
soon as he gets up, tell him down, and then praise and/or reward for the
desired behavior. Some people also use clicker training for this type of
problem. Let me know if you would like information on that. As others have
suggested, you can also put the leash under your foot and/or try to slide
Taylor under your chair. You probably would want to practice the under the
chair thing at home if it was not something that the trainer did with Taylor
as some dogs don't care for it at first and can kind of freak out. Finally,
if you can get a table beside the wall and/or in a corner, you can sometimes
keep the dog somewhat under control and out of the way by putting him by the
wall. If you are not using all of the chairs at a table, you can move one
and put Taylor where the extra chair would be.

Nicole