[nagdu] Perspectives on Guide Dogs

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:04:35 UTC 2014

Hi Rachel, boy, you did pose a lot of questions! (Grin).  First
I'll start by telling you a bit about me.  I am working with my
7th dog, Neena.  She is a Golden Retriever from Seeing Eye.  I am
60, and have been traveling with dogs since I was 26.

Let's see, breed.  Well, I've had either Labs or Goldens with the
exception of my first dog, who was a Lab Newfoundland cross.  At
that time, Seeing Eye was still accepting donor dogs, or
purchasing dogs.  Fortunately she had the Lab shape and size, but
the Newfie coat.  She was wonderful (but the first one always
is).  She brought me a lot of freedom and joy, and problems.
Lol.  I have never worked with German Shepherds, so I don't know
about those, but then GDB does not train them anymore.  So I'd
say that each dog, regardless of gender or breed has pluses and
minuses.  I really have no breed or gender preference.

2.  As far as your question about the changing dynamics.  I was
single when I got my first dog and so the relationship between me
and my dogs was kind of like it's us against the world, kind of.
I don't exactly mean that either but I lived alone with my dog,
so the relationship between me and my dogs was intense.  When I
got married in 2000 things did change.  Suddenly there was
another person and his dog that I was interacting with, and he
was interacting with my dog.  We made some mistakes-I just
followed him with my dog a lot.  Now even when we are together
unless we are in a very crowded noisy situation, I walk
independently with my dog, and he gives me directions if it's
somewhere I haven't been before.  Now we have both my retired
guide and my new girl Neena, a cat, and frequently our
granddaughter.  Our granddaughter loves Neena and it's fun to
watch them interact.  Neena is my partner, I love her, and my
husband and I joke about our "animal kids" though we don't really
treat them that way.

Before my current husband when I dated guys, if they did not like
my dogs, or there was any conflict about it at all, the guy was
outa there.  Lol.  But my husband has always loved my dogs, read
a lot, listened a lot to me, and talked to instructors from
Seeing Eye, so he has a great balance between loving my dogs and
yet letting me be the primary person who cares for my dogs.  The
rest of my family has been okay with my dogs, though sometimes
they want me to let my dogs do things that I don't want to let
them do.  In the beginning I acceded to my family's wishes, but
not anymore.  Now, I call the shots.

I have only experienced some discrimination in housing, maybe.  I
was promised an apartment at a place and then at the last minute
they said they couldn't rent it to me because they needed to give
a manager my apartment.  As for jobs, no, my dog has never been
the issue.  Or not that the perspective employer ever said that.
It's hard to know, of course.  Anybody with any savvy these days
will not say, I don't want to hire you because you have a dog or
because you're blind.  They will say stuff like, We had so many
qualified applicants, and it was very difficult to choose.  How
can you argue with that? Sigh.

5.  Well, I would never leave my dog home from a job interview.
I think that for me, having my dog at my side guiding me into a
room and settling down quietly is a plus.  If they are going to
discriminate against me then the dog is not going to be the thing
that they would discriminate for.  However having said that,
there are some places that I don't choose to take my dogs
necessarily.  I took Neena to a Pigout in the Park here, and next
year I don't think that I will take her to that.  I also don't
really like taking my dogs to fairs, because I like to go to the
petting zoo and see the other animals.  (Smile).

I suppose for me the emotional thing is just knowing that I have
another being with me when I'm out and about.  When I get lost it
helps knowing that I'm not totally alone.  She also does somehow
ease things for me in conversations.  When I travel with my cane
often people don't talk to me, but with a dog they do.  I think
my dogs have served as ice breakers.  That's okay with me,
because once people get to know me (if they're going to) they
become my friends, not just friendly because I have a dog.

This may sound horrible but ow don't really care about how
sighted people perceive me.  I know that for me having a dog is
better.  I have good cane skills, but I know that having a dog
gives me some added confidence that having a cane doesn't.  I
don't really know whether there's a difference in how sighted
people perceive blind folks using canes or dogs.  I just know
that people seem more friendly when I have my dogs than not.
(The flip side is that the crazies are also attracted to my dogs,
sometimes.  That can be good or bad.  The other thing is that the
guys I dated when using my cane didn't seem to perceive me any
differently than the ones whom I dated when ow just had my cane.
I think really that the biggest difference in dating was whether
the guys liked dogs or not.  I'd made my choice a long time
before them that I wanted a dog.  So if they wanted me they'd
have to accept that or like I said earlier, get lost.

I have had people be afraid of my dog, and I don't really know
what to do about that.  You see, I had a terrible fear of strange
dogs, and had to go through desensitization therapy.  So I
understand that fear, and all I can do is reassure and try to
keep my dog away from them.  Allergies is another matter.  I also
had allergies to dogs and got allergy shots because I told the
doctor that I was not getting rid of my dog.  I know that there
are ways to mitigate allergies to dogs, like in a bus, train or
plane, I will try and sit as far from the person with the allergy
as I can.  They too can take something like Bennadryl, although
usually in that situation me being far away is enough, since we
won't be together forever.  I did have a doctor who was allergic
to dogs.  I really liked her, so I chose in that situation to not
travel to appointments with her with my dog.  But if she'd been a
negative person and screamed a lot about it, then I might have
wondered.  Sometimes I think people use the allergy card because
they just don't like dogs.  I also will not tolerate being
discriminated against by a cab driver.  If they have a religious
issue with my dog then they should do something else.  I will do
my best to keep my dog's mouth and face away from drivers, and if
it's not a huge hassle (like I'm going on a trip or something)
and I think about it, I might take a blanket or towel to put on
the floor of their cab.

Sorry for such a long email.  (Grin).  I hope I've answered all
of your questions.    Blessings,    Debby and Neena