[nagdu] Dog sneaking and getting on Counters

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Oct 27 02:31:56 UTC 2014

I think that there are a couple of different things that you could do. Which
one you choose probably hinges largely on the fact that you are not home
much. This means a few different things. First, you do not have that much
time for training. Second, your dog probably recognizes that it is a
different environment. In different/new environments, dogs can often push
the boundaries as to what is acceptable. So, for now, I would just stick
with the on leash option. If you do get a chance to do more training, here
are some other ideas. I am not a big fan of this one, but put her on tie
down in the kitchen to where she can see and jump at the counter but cannot
actually get to it without giving herself a correction. Given that she will
not do it when you are present, I do not know how well redirection will
work. You could try training her to stay in one area of the kitchen. This
might be easier if her bowls were on a mat or something. Then, you could
teach her that it is okay to go stand on the mat to eat, but it is not okay
to go anywhere else in the kitchen. You could leave something on the counter
that did not taste very good; however, finding something that dogs do not
like but that is also not harmful can be hard. Finally, you could work on
food refusal in general and hope that she will generalize that human food,
no matter where it is or who is present, is off limits.

Nicole