[nagdu] Perspectives on Guide Dogs

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 07:33:36 UTC 2014

Rachel,
I think you are overthinking the relationship with a guide dog. Think
of it as gaining a new friend. As with any friend, you work on getting
to know each other. You figure out the best things to do with that
friend according to what they like and what they are good at. You and
that friend rely on each other for different things according to your
own abilities and needs. And that friend receives a rank of importance
according to how much you have in common, the things you like to do
together, and the use and necessity of having that friend around. If
you look at it that way, it should remove many of the complications
you were considering.
Onto your other questions:
1.	Which dog works for a person depends on the dog and the person.
There are certain breeds that I would never work as a guide in a
million years, but that is because of my personal preference, what I'm
willing to deal with, and what I expect out of any guide dog I choose
to work with. I am committed to the golden retriever, and truly only
desire to work that breed for very specific reasons. This does not
mean that I think goldens make the best guide dogs, or that they are
the best guide dogs for any given person. I do think that they are the
best for me, and they have desirable qualities that other breeds
don't, and lack undesirable qualities that other breeds have.
2.	It was very tense when I got home with my dog. I was very hell-bent
on forming a proper bond with my new golden, and I would not let
anyone prevent that from happening. No one was allowed to interact
with my dog without my permission. I controlled how, when, where, and
how long each interaction took place. If anyone violated the rules I
had established, a lecture and an argument ensued. My family quickly
got the message, though my mother and I were at odds, since she wanted
to believe the dog was hers and that she could play with him whenever
and just let him out of the house whenever.
You don't have to be as strict, stern, or possessive as I was, but it
is important for others to understand that until you and your dog are
properly bonded, they cannot interact with the dog as if it were a
pet. It is not a family dog, it is your dog first and foremost. You
want the dog to look to you as its provider and leader.
3.	Yes, people of course will be drawn toward the dog. It's adorable
and irresistible, and a great number of people have a lack of
self-control and common decency. People will badger you with any
number of questions about your dog. How to deal with it is up to you.
It is not your job to educate anyone. And you are not the biggest
biatch in the world if you ignore them or brush them off. I do either
or, depending on what mood I'm in or where I am. You can't change the
fact that you have an adorable partner-in-crime, you can only react to
people's comments and questions. Many people can get passed the dog
and are able to see you for your notable qualities, and a surprising
number will act like the dog isn't even there, which is fantastic.
4.	As a college kid exiting college and entering the job market, I
have not faced this. I've had three jobs in total, and I was
considered an asset in every position. One of my jobs was training
dogs at an animal shelter, so because of my experience with my guide
dog, I was considered very valuable.
5.	Frankly, where and when you choose to take your dog along or leave
it behind is up to you. Personally, I have taken my dog to all of my
job interviews. My dog is a part of me, and if someone can't accept
it, then I don't want to work there anyway. I did not get a dog just
so I could leave him to lay around at home. I have left my dog alone
on multiple occasions, primarily so he would be accustomed to being
left alone for periods of time. But I've only left him at home because
of where I was going on one occasion.
6.	I do jog with my dog. Sprinting might be a challenge, distance
running might be a possibility. As others said, you need enough time
to react to your dog's signals. Hiking shouldn't be a problem.
7.	Yes, I don't see why an O&M instructor couldn't use a guide dog.
Heck, most O&M instructors don't even use a cane. What's most
important is knowledge of cane usage. If you're concentrating on
landmarks though, bringing a cane along isn't a bad idea.
8.	Again, this is a friend. My dog has made me laugh, and is a great
source of entertainment. My dog also inspired me to become a positive
reinforcement dog trainer, so I've made some money out of him, too!
My dog has motivated me to become increasingly independent. Before I
got my dog, I just took a taxi everywhere, and didn't go very many
places. After I got him, I learned to use the city bus, and took it
anywhere I felt like going or exploring. I would go wherever whenever
I felt like it, and was not afraid of getting lost. I felt more
comfortable getting lost with my dog because there's two heads who can
figure out how we get back to familiar territory. My dog has also been
very confident in the situations in which I was not.
9.	If anyone is afraid of or allergic to my dog, that is their
problem, not mine. It is up to them to deal with that. Do not even
humor or coddle those people by reacting to their freaking out and
carrying on.
10.	I answered this question in the beginning of my post, but I'll add
more. How you choose to show your dog that you love him, are unhappy
with him, and are pleased with him is up to you. For instance, some
people show love to their dog by feeding them treats, while others
will just hug and pat their dog and verbally uplift them. Some people
show unhappiness with their dogs by physically or verbally correcting
them, while others will simply leave the presence or subtract their
attention away from the dog for a while. However you want to treat
your dog is your decision, and understand that one person's healthy
boundaries with their dog might not look healthy or appropriate to
you. Yes, your dog is your soul mate, but he is also an animal first.
One of the women in a natural-rearing group I belong to always says:
"Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans, or they
will end up treating you like dogs." Remember that your dog will do
doggy things, display doggy behavior, and need to release energy,
distress, and demonstrate pleasure in ways that dogs do.
Your relationship with your dog should turn out fine as long as you
understand that he is just a new friend that you also have a working
relationship with at times.
11.	I think it really depends on the person. How independent you
display yourself to be will have more of an impact than whether you
use a dog or cane. Many people do believe that the dog does everything
for you, so that in a very indirect sense, you are more able-bodied
than a cane user. That's obviously nonsense, but in my experience with
jobs and dating, the people were able to look past whatever mobility
aid I had. In the case of the job, they hired me because of my
experience and qualities, and in the case of dating, they were
attracted to my physical appearance and my personality. Anyone who you
will work for or date needs to understand that while your cane or dog
is a part of you, there is so much more to you than your mobility aid
or disability.
A quick note on dating. My custom has always been to introduce my dog
to my date out of harness. So if it's our first time going out or
hanging out, I always allow the person to interact with my dog with
the harness off, and I explain to them that whenever the harness is
on, they are to act as though my dog is not there unless he is doing
something unsafe or inappropriate. This has worked out for me so far.
I do this so that it seems that I am open to this person, and not
uptight about the whole situation.
Hopefully, this answers your questions adequately. Feel free to ask
anything else.
Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com