[nagdu] Guide Dogs and childcare centers

melissa R green graduate56 at juno.com
Tue Sep 2 02:00:47 UTC 2014

I currently work in a Montessori school and toddler center.  I had both a
phone and an in person interview and I also have things concerning my
blindness on my resume.  I take my girl with me to work.  We worked it out
that she could go into the director's office.  The kids also know the rules.
This was done on my first day during circle time.  We found a spot for me to
relieve her and I also had the rehab teacher that I was working with come in
and help me orient to the building.  Many times I tie her to the table leg
and go work in the toddler room.  She has a rug that she lays on and I have
taken toys for her as well.  I also have been in contact with my school as
well.  Many child care centers have health forms on file that shows the
children who have allergies.  I also found out from a friend who is a dog
user about a type of wipe that keeps the dander down and works really well.
I haven't had to use them but I do carry a pack in my bag.  They can also be
used for bath wipes.  I also keep her brushed.  Also, you may want to gather
a copy of her shot records.  I provided my boss a copy of them, and the
health department were fine with it and they also gave some regulations that
we had no clue about to us.  For example there can be up to three service
dogs in a center, and kids must wash their hands if they pet the dog.  Some
people would have made a big deal about these things.  However, I feel that
you need to pick your battles.  If you are able to do so I would try to go
in a day before the actual start date and talk with the director.  I would
suggest that you take your dog on the first day because she needs to also
get used to the kids and the environment.  Kids can be noisy and they cry a
lot.  Lol!  This way you are able to work out all of the kinks and answer
any questions as well.  Good luck and keep us posted.    Sincerely,
Melissa R Green and Pj
"Real friendship understands the depths of true feelings and sounds of words
unspoken."