[nagdu] Guide Dogs and childcare centers

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Sep 1 21:20:26 UTC 2014

I think that it also depends on how old the children are.  If you are
talking preschool age and older, then talking about the dog, what she does
and the rules of engagement, then you have a chance of them listening to
you.  Younger kids don't have good self control and are probably still going
to do things you've told them not to.  Younger than about 3 years and I
think the best thing is to keep the dog and the kids apart.  Kids that young
don't have the cognitive skills to understand or follow with directions for
more than about 2 minutes.  Then you'll be repeating yourself and never
getting anything else done.

If it were me, I think I'd request a bit of orientation after hours.  Then
you could learn where the snacks are kept, which spray cleaner is for the
tables and which is for the bathroom, the layout of the building, the fire
exits and all of that sort of thing.   I'd feel more comfortable working
with the kids if I knew my surroundings a bit.  I'd feel like I was in a
better position to handle whatever came up, be it a runny nose, a quick trip
to the bathroom or a spill at the snack table.

I've never quite been in your position though.  I don't generally tell
people in advance that I'm blind, but I have always had in person
interviews.    It's pretty obvious then and we work through any questions or
concerns.

Julie