[nagdu] A bit of a dilemma.

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 13:03:37 UTC 2014

My guess...it's not about the dog.  It's about relationships, yours with
your girlfriend, hers with her daughter, the daughter with you.  My best
advice, get counseling.

I'm also a step-parent.  The thing I've learned, the hard way, is that I am
not my step daughters parent.  I can be an adult role model.  I can have
rules and expectations, but when it really comes down to it, my husband has
to be the parent and enforce the rules, and our decisions.   It's the same
in reverse with my son.  I am his parent.  My husband and I together agree
on house rules and  expectations but if those aren't met, it is my job to do
something about it with my son.

So when I decided that Monty was getting ready to need to slow down and take
things easier and that I needed to think about my next guide dog, my husband
and I talked it over.  We decided that it would work to have a third dog in
the house.  We then told the kids.  they didn't get a vote.

Every family is different and how we do things here may not be what works
for the next family.   However you slice it, step-parenting is tough.  You
and the girlfriend should probably sort out how you intend to manage it.
Even if you don't pay the fee and make it all legal through marriage, you
are still a family.  You are going to have to come to some sort of agreement
on how things are going to operate in your family.

Or you can get your own place, do what you want and skip all of the above.

Julie