[nagdu] How does your dog help you?

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:19:38 UTC 2014

		This is beautifully written Debbie.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of debby phillips
via nagdu
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:28 PM
To: Phyllis Stevens; NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide
Dog Users; dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net; nagdu at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nagdu] How does your dog help you?

When I was a young girl, maybe 14, I had a mobility instructor who worked
and worked with me to help me to learn to cross streets without veering.
(It didn't work real well).  Lol.  He finally said, "You know, I don't often
do this, but I think that you would be a good candidate for a dog, and I
think if you choose to do that, you should go to Seeing Eye." That was
probably 1968 or 1969.  I didn't go until 1981, but I've never regretted
going.  No, I can't say that I never have trouble with street crossings,
especially with a new dog, but I have gone places and done things that I
never would have done without my dogs.  I sometimes did it for them, to give
them more of a challenge, but it always was great for me, too.  Then in
November of 2012, I went to the Colorado Center for the Blind.  My cane
skills improved tremendously, and so did my confidence in myself.
But when push came to shove, I realized that I wanted to travel with a dog
again.  I don't want to deal with all the environmental stuff, like
mailboxes, trash cans, etc.  And I feel less vulnerable, and more confident,
less afraid of getting lost when I have a dog with me.  Maybe because she's
there, and is another being.  Maybe because she can compensate for some of
my weaknesses.  What I offer her is love, consistency, discipline,
companionship, and a job to do.  Sunday we will have been home a month
together and I am daily falling more and more under Neena's spell.  (Grin).
I love this crazy impetuous, impulsive gentle
dog.    Peace,    Debby and Miss Neena