[nagdu] discrimination for service pups in training./my little rant

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:33:50 UTC 2014

Hi

I'm so glad you've made arrangements for your puppy. :)

I think it really depends on the dog.  As you work with the dog, oyu'll know the dog better, and you'll know when the dog will be able to be taken to class.
Take it one step at a time.  Get the pup out and about when you have fre time, and socialize the puppy to other friendly people and friendly dogs.
Get the dog in basic obediance classes or work one on one with a trainer if you don't know how to tain yourself.  I like puppy classes during the early stages because it does get the dogs used to strange people, dogs, sights, smells, etc.  I am opposed to group puppy training classes where your puppy is made to work for an hour on commands.  To me, it's too long of a training session, and I'd prefer to set my puppy up for success when first training him on something...this isnt' easy to do when you've got a bunch of other puppies around.  But, to each his own.

Get your puppy used to you, and most importantly, what you expect of him/her.  This is important.

For Zion, I accomplished this by keeping him in his kennel when we weren't training or playing. Gradually he got to spend more and more time outside of the kennel, but as he gained more privledges inside the home, he gained more structure outside of the home.  Whereas once people could pet him pretty much all of the time, now I decided when he could be petted, and I used what obedience commands he'd learned as stipulation for pets.

Once he is well mannered around strangers, then you can start thinking of more structured places to take him.

Hope this helps. :)