[nagdu] Washington Post: Uber sued for allegedly refusingridestothe blind and putting a dog in the trunk

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:44:54 UTC 2014

This just happened to me this past Saturday. Fortunately, I had the
option of taking a bus, but I chose to request a Uber because the
buses were only running once an hour at the time of day. So I request
a Uber, and the guy is 3 minutes away. I'm on the phone with him,
telling him where I am because I'm not at a physical address. He pulls
up, sees the dog, apologizes and pulls off. Okay, so I gotta go wait
for a bus. The biggest pain in the butt with an ap like this is that,
unlike a taxi, you can't request another ride, because the one you're
going to get is the same person that just left you stranded.
Fortunately, I did not get charged for a ride that never happened. And
the same as with Nicole's mentioned Taxi Magic, you can only rate and
comment on drivers after your ride.
I love Uber. Every other driver I've had was incredibly nice. But
something has to change. This is a service provided to the public, so
they need to pull up their drawers, own up, and realize that they must
accommodate people with service dogs as such.

On 9/12/14, Dan Weiner via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Well you know the problem with specifying that you have a guide dog is
> this"
> Honestly when I've done it I still get drivers who have issues--smile.
> Not always of course, but it has happened several times when I would say
> that I'm blind and have a service dog or guide dog that then the driver
> would come and act like a numbskull and claim whatever excuse:
> Allergies, fear of dogs, or ""I don't take dogs".
>

> So I suppose what has to happen is that penalties need to be beefed up and
> they have to be laws with real clout, I mean readily enforceable.
>
> Dan W.
>
> dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com