[nagdu] posting limit

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:52:36 UTC 2014

Jen and all,
In my defense, when I posted the message about subject titles and posting limits, there was actually no one at that point in time that had violated the posting limits rule. I was more concerned about the subject titles than the posting limits. With that said, I can't even remember the last time I reminded the whole list of the posting limits, if every few weeks is too much, then I am sorry. If posting a reminder to the whole list reminding them about certain rules every few weeks is too much for your inbox, I am not sure how the other list traffic can't be too much either. typically I do email members off list, when they have violated a rule, usually the behavior goes away and we go on. And yes I do give leeway to those I know who might have one extra over the limit post, or who might have forgotten about the rule, or someone who needed to ask an important question, or someone who might have said something important to say or contribute. When I read posts, I also look at the message sent time, if the message is around that midnight hour. Yes the limit changes. Yes we have our regular members who post all of the time. Yes we have our regular members who have alot to say. But as the list moderator, I do think I have the discretion to remind folks of certain rules on list, as much if not a majority of the violations are taken care of off list. About NAGDU board members stepping in to remind people of the rules also, is not something that again that happens often. I am human, I do have a life, with responsibilities, and sometimes I miss things. Sometimes I don't have time to read the messages for 12 hours, by then something might have needed to be pointed out by then. If its a reminder on list, its not a big deal, nor do I see that they are stepping on my toes.
And back to what I was saying about posting limits, at that point in time, there had been no violation of the rule, it was a friendly reminder. Most people know that if they are following rules, and if I post a reminder, that it probably doesn't apply to them. Everyone here is an adult, and I do treat, or try to treat everyone as an adult. The moderator is not someone who should have a heavy hand, over everyone's head all of the time. Generally we are discussing relevant topics. Yes some subjects get beaten to death, and brought up again, but typically before I can say something, they die themselves. Or a list member, will polite tell them to go and check the archives. Every time a new member joins we might discuss the same thing over and over, but that is the nature of email lists, and new members joining.
So my point is to say Thank you for the suggestions. If the NAGDU board would like to replace me, that is up to their discretion. If the NAGDU baord wants to change the rules, they are more than welcome to do so. And before this turns into a long long  discussion on list, anyone who would like to discuss this further is more than welcome to email me offlist.
Thank you,

Marsha drenth, NAGDU List Moderator
email: marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Sent with my IPhone
Please note that this email communication has been sent using my iPhone. As such, I may have used dictation and had made attempts to mitigate errors. Please do not be hesitant to ask for clarification as necessary.