[nagdu] Guide dogs and electric wheelchairs / Welcome

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 09:30:32 UTC 2014

Mardi here from Arizona, I have used all my guide dogs with either a manual
wheelchair or an electric wheelchair. When I needed my first guide, there
were no schools that trained for wheelchair users. After I trained my Lily,
with the help of a private trainer,I read an article in a dog magazine
about Southeastern Guide dogs,who had just trained a guide dog for a man in
a manual wheelchair.It had a picture of the team.Back then I could still
see it.It was some time after that, when I read an article about Suzanne
and Caddo.I am still training my own guides as I am still able to. I do
hope that more schools start training wheelchair guides as I know there
will come a time when I will not be able to train my own.I am currently
using 2 guides.Shaman, a Belgian Shepherd,I use with my electric
wheelchair.For the times when I must use a manual chair as my power chair
does not fit in a car, I use Neechee,a Siberian Husky.I trained them both
.Shaman's pace is fast and not easy to manage with a manual chair, so I
trained Neechee to use with the manual.chair. Her pace is much slower and
very easy to manage with a manual chair. I can even use her when I am some
times able to walk as I walk very slowly.
          Welcome to all the new members. I am an owner trainer and have
trained all 4 of my own guides. Lily,Nala,Neechee, all Siberian Huskies and
Shaman,a Belgian Shepherd.I also trained one,a lab mix for another
wheelchair user and Helped train a black lab for Rachel,who is also on this
list.I trained the basics and Rachel did the rest.I hope you all enjoy this
list. Have a great day,  Mardi and Shaman and Neechee.
--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/