[nagdu] Why I decided not to owner train.

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 20:30:28 UTC 2014

Nicole, with Seeing Eye, from the time I finish my training I own
my dog.  I don't have to report to the school until I'm ready for
my next dog if I don't want to.  Sometimes, or so it used to be,
that if an instructor was in your area they might call and ask if
you'd like a visit.  Even that doesn't happen anymore.  If the
school gets a call about abuse, they will then check with the
graduate, explaining that they received a call, and asking if
they might be of assistance.  If there is abuse, Seeing Eye
refers the matter to Animal Control, or whoever the authority is
in the city or county where the graduate lives.  One of the
reasons I chose not to go to GDB in the first place was I didn't
want the annual report and yearly follow up.  I want to call my
school when I need their help, not when they think I should.  But
that's personal preference.  So if you feel like that's "Big
Brother" then perhaps you need to consider whether that's where
want to get your dogs.  I wouldn't go to a school that I didn't
like, or agree with, mostly.  It's too important a decision,
because I would be receiving a dog that might be with me for the
next ten years.    Peace,    Debby and Neena