[nagdu] Running with your guide?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:39:55 UTC 2014

Daryl,
I go on jogs with the Golden Guy just on leash. But this dog is a pro
at leash-guiding, meaning that even out of harness, he does his
damnedest to keep me from running into anything. He has even gone so
far as to body block to keep me from running into something. Jogging
works better for us because there is a constant pull on the leash, and
time enough for my reaction to his signals to move over around
something.
I personally would not use the conventional guide harness for running.
Some people do, and that is fine. But these harnesses definitely don't
allow for full range of motion. I imagine it's almost like running
with a backpack on.

On 9/21/14, Daryl Marie via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hey!
> I know a few months back a couple people posted on this topic, but I don't
> have the time or inclination to go digging. LOL
>
> I am doing a fundraising run next weekend to support our provincial blind
> sports organization, and I often get asked if Jenny is running with me.
> Knowing Jenny as I do I know that in the future this is something she would
> quite possibly REALLY like to do, but at this time I haven't been able to
> work with her on this.  So while I am running, my husband (who is doing the
> walk) is going to take her on a nice long 3.5K walk!
> For those who have run/jogged with your dogs, what do you do? Like, are they
> just on-leash, or in harnesses? What kind of harness do you use?  I think I
> remember that the traditional guide dog harness with the belly strap isn't
> good for their shoulders to run with.  I know Julie J. makes harnesses, but
> does anyone use commercial harnesses?
> Very curious!
>
> Daryl

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com