[nagdu] major relieving issues

Brandy Pinder bdpinder at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 01:59:31 UTC 2014

Hi martia,
I had this problem with my sweet noel. Some foods she did better than others but she would poop before leaving and then about two blocks down. I tried waking up taking her poop, feeding then getting ready and poop again, no go still had to go on route. This would happen also in the afternoon. I tried playing with her before leaving to stimulate the second poop, nothing. This, as you know, is extremely frustrating in the city where it isn't always safe to take them. Eventually after a while we compromised. I wouldn't let her stop where ever but we would have one place per common route where I would say it was ok to go. Before that, no. When getting my successor I told gdf in no way did I want a dog that had relieving issues while walking. However, noel was a fabulous dog in every sense of the word and finally I said, hey she doesn't poop inside, she's not just stopping in the sidewalk and pooping she is pulling over and hey it's better than some issues. Pinta for the most part, unless I change her food, doesn't have this issue but goodness I know the anxiety and frustration. And she probably just stops walking all together if you don't let her go, right? My advice is to maybe pick a spot on the route before she gives the sign or even a few feet after if you can that you pick so it isn't on her terms but yours. And maybe when she does relieve when and where you want at the university give her a treat or lots of praise. Also, most importantly I found that when I was trying to get noel to relieve I would be anxious because I soooo badly wanted her to go, and she felt this. On the other hand if I went out there with the attitude of, I can care less if you go or not, sometimes she would. And then you have to make it relative. This problem isn't huge compared to a dog who shuts down when faced with an obstacle, or chases down every dog she seems, etc...
Hope this helps!

brandy pinder
Alumni Council -  second vice Chairman
Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc®
and America's VetDogs®, The Veteran's K-9 Corps Inc®
Providing "Second uSight"® since 1946

371 E. Jericho Turnpike smith town ny 11766
Cso: 866-282-8047
Email: brandydp at verizon.net
Cell: 304-685-4499