[nagdu] major relieving issues

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Sep 30 13:54:16 UTC 2014

Hi Marsha.
I too feel your pain.  Ben is stimulated by walking, and regularly needs
to go on route.  I hate it.  I've spent way too much time walking around
with a full baggy, looking for a trash can.
I agree with Brandy.  If she usually goes around one spot, pick a spot
nearby, at the time she usually needs to go, and let her go.  Then at
least you have some control and can pick up.  This is what I did with Ben.
It's a pain, and it requires building extra time into the route, but it's
the best I could come up with.  If he goes in the designated spot, or even
does the dance of good faith, I praise him.  If he fools around, or tries
to go elsewhere, I growl at him.
I never had a dog before who does this, either.  It's maddening.  I've
said, frequently, that I don't want another dog with this problem.  If New
Dog does it, you'll probably hear my howls all the way to Philly.  But,
like Brandy said, it isn't the worst problem I could have, as Ben is
otherwise an excellent guide, though, when he gets relieving on his mind,
not so much.
Good luck.
Tracy