[nagdu] Toileting Harness and Nylon Work Harness

jaynewy4 at aol.com jaynewy4 at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 16:21:18 UTC 2015

Hi all:

First, I think it would be polite to introduce myself to the list.  I am one of those people who reads the list but who does not post, usually.  I do enjoy being kept abreast of news from my fellow guide dog users, so thanks.  I  also want to thank everyone who provides useful tips and advice.

I am a retired university professor in New York City working with my second Poodle guide dog from Pilot Dogs.  My current guide, Dottie, is a cream Standard, who will be two years old this month.

My last guide, Woody, was a huge Royal Standard chocolate poodle, who greyed into my pewter knight, but he had some stomach problems due to medication given to him in a futile attempt to save his life.  Dottie also has a sensitive stomach, but most of her problems have been solved by using a simple grain-free food and probiotics.  However, like many New Yorkers who live vertically, my building has halls covered with rugs, and there will be an inevitable time to have to get her out of the apartment, down the elevators, and into the relief area in time.  I know you have all been there.  If not, you are oh-so-lucky.  It also sounds like a good precaution for a long flight, no matter how carefully you have prepared your guide.

I have two questions for the list:

1) I would like to purchase a toileting harness and read the past discussions on it and on T-bags, but I cannot find a site to purchase either.  Would someone kindly direct me with a reply offsite or onsite as to where I can purchase one as well as the bags?

2) I am also considering the purchase of a nylon harness as an alternative or addition to her current leather/metal one.  My main objection to the current one is that it is heavy.  Also, though it is as snug as possible, it does tend to lean to one side.  She weighs only 45-48 lbs, though a Poodle's size also seems to expand and contract as their hair grows or gets clipped.  There is rather a large gap on the front of the harness, as I think it was designed for a gal with the chest  and back of a Labrador.

So I would appreciate advice or comments on the pros and cons of a lighter harness and where to buy one or have one made for her.  And I would also appreciate advice on getting her current harness to fit better--maybe a chest pad?

  My email is jaynewy4 at aol.com if anyone prefers to reply privately.

Many thanks!

Karla and Dottie