[nagdu] age of guide dog maturity

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Apr 1 22:09:40 UTC 2015

John,

To stop jumping, just turn away and look somewhere else, preferably off
to the side away from the dog. Don't say anything, just pointedly ignore
the dog. When she stops jumping, turn instantly and look at her. You can
say, "Good girl!" or whatever praise you use as a verbal marker, too. If
she jumps, turn away instantly and stay turned away until she stops.
Repeat as necessary. Works like magic! Soon all you will have to do is
turn your head slightly, and shortly after that, the behavior should
become extinct.

Do you have the leash on her even in the house when she is not working?
I think it is important to teach a dog to follow house rules on its own,
without a leash on. You may want to gradually allow her more free time
where she can learn to self-manage, reminding her of the rules when you
need to. Do you have bells on her, or some sort of sound that you can
use to keep track of where she is? That really helps me, especially with
a young dog that still needs a lot of monitoring. If the dog is
behaving, it can be free to do as it wishes, but I will know (usually)
when it is breaking rules and being a danger to itself and my stuff. /smile/

hth,

Tami