[nagdu] use of gentle leader

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Apr 4 16:19:55 UTC 2015

Sean,

Hey! Good to see you back here.

Okay, for the Gentle Leader, the neck strap goes around the upper neck,
just behind the skull, snug enough to stay there. The nose strap needs
to be tight enough not to slip off the end of the nose, but loose enough
that the dog can open its mouth to pant.

Depending on how Franklin remembers it, you may want to go through the
adjustment process with it before taking him out in it. That involves
just putting it on briefly, rewarding the dog, then taking it off again
and increasing the time it is on until the dog accepts it. Then leash
work inside, then outside. Some dogs freak out over it, some shut down,
and some are okay with it.

Jerking on the head collar can cause injuries, so it is important not to
give corrections with it. I use a skinny leash on Mitzi's, looping it
over my ring and little finger while I hold the harness handle. I can
give a light finger twitch to get her attention if I need to, or I can
reach over with my free hand to gently pull her away from something, or
to use a firm, steady pull if she's got her stubborn on. Pulling her
nose away from where she wants it is removing the reward from
sniffing/scavenging, then letting her look where she wants is the reward
for remembering she is on the job.

The main function of the head collar for us is that it lets me feel her
head movements, so I can tell her "leave it forward" before she's in
full sniff mode, at least most of the time. I leave a lot of slack in
the leash so she can move her long nose on that long neck since she
likes to keep an eye on everything that is going on so she can respond
pre-emptively. I also get a lot of feedback from that, which I like. If
we're in a grocery store or someplace like that and she is seeming ready
to give in to temptation, I may take up the slack so there is some
tension but not a lot, if that makes sense.

hth,

Tami