[nagdu] To Kristen concerning Corvette

Chaim B. Segal chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 17:37:46 UTC 2015

Hi Kristen:

I know I am over two weeks late in responding to this one. I just read the message today.

Last year, I was having a similar problem with my fourth Seeing Eye Dog Yahtzee. I still have this problem from time to time, though usually, I can get him to work. He did not do the revolving paw thing, but would either sit down on the sidewalk, or make his body extremely heavy if I tried to heel him forward, when there was absolutely nothing that I knew of which should have been a concern. This problem was most evident when it was raining outside.

First of all, let me begin by saying that You! are the boss. Period! It is not up to Corvette whether or not he wants to work at this point. And, if he really does not want to work, then you need to have him checked out by your vet and follow up with a trainer from your school.

What Seeing Eye suggested, and I found it works most of the time, is to use a gentle leader. If Corvette tries to balk, you can gently but firmly tug the leash forward from under his chin. Let him know on no uncertain terms that he must do his job. Occasionally, I have still had problems with Yahtzee playing games, though usually the gentle leader is a sign to him that I mean business. If he still balks, I speak sternly to him, telling him to move forward. Recently, he was extremely resistant, and did not move even then. I confess, I just about lost my temper. I gave him an extremely hard tap on his rump, and shouted, "Damn it! Forward!" right in his face. Since that point, he has not tried to balk as much. And, when he does, it is either because there is indeed something in front of us, or somebody who he knows is approaching from behind.

As somebody else has suggested on here, treats may work to encourage him, though I would be careful about giving too many. I would probably start out by walking through the area with him on heel while using a cane. Perhaps you should have a sighted person who is keen to detail tell you if there is something unusual going on out there. Perhaps something looks strange, that you or I may not know about without being able to see. Lastly, have you tried to work him in different places?

Thanks!

Chaim

Chaim B. Segal
Customer Service Rep