[nagdu] Pulling!

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Apr 23 16:14:21 UTC 2015

Daryl,

I'm so glad Jenny is feeling better and getting back to normal!

To adjust her pull, have you tried just stopping and standing without
having her sit? It seems to do well with pulling, too. That actually
seems to work better than having the dog sit. I think that since the dog
is wanting to go forward and fast, the halt removes the reward from the
behavior. Moving forward again the instant the dog relaxes is the reward
for agreeing to let you set the pace. So long as the dog is giving you
the pull you want, you continue to go forward as the dog wants to do, so
positive reinforcement. At least, I think that's why it works so well.
It's amazing for teaching loose leash, and I've found it is working well
to teach Loki the pull I want from him.

Developing the pace and pull I wanted with Mitzi also went well with a
clicker, since I could click at the instant the pull was right, then
follow up with verbal praise. I use the Las Vegas style method of
treating -- adding the treat randomly to reinforce the positive value of
the click -- so I could give her the treat when we stopped at a curb.
I'm too clumsy to offer a treat on the go while holding the clicker and
leash and all anyway. /lol/ A verbal marker also works to let the dog
know when the pull is right, but the clicker is quicker to capture the
exact instant.

hth,

Tami