[nagdu] Diet and Ear Infections

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:44:12 UTC 2015

I didn't originally post about the relationship between diet and my
dogs' ear infections but here are my experiences. Thai had an ear
infection that never truly went away for six months, no matter how
many times I cleaned it or how long I administered antibiotics.
Through process of elimination, I determined that he is mainly
allergic to chicken and is somewhat sensitive to grains. By feeding
him a grain and chicken free diet comprised of one freeze-dried food
and one type of minimally processed kibble, his ears no longer become
infected. Similarly, switching my pet dog to a freeze-dried, grain
free diet completely eliminated her chronic ear infections. I never
determined exactly what she was allergic to, but she couldn't tolerate
kibble.

Ear infections in dogs are often a sign of allergies. If these are
food allergies, removing the ingredient causing the reaction will
obviously eliminate the ear infection. Infections also tend to occur
when the diet contains a lot of sugars, such as those found in grains
and starchy vegetables. This is part of the reason why many people see
improvements in chronic ear infections after switching to a grain free
diet or freeze-dried food, which generally have a higher protein
content, less fillers, and ingredients that have undergone minimal
processing.

Danielle, Thai, and Bonnie (GDF puppy in training)