[nagdu] a new dog

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Aug 6 17:39:40 UTC 2015

Kaye,

That's how I do it. And I train my dog not to follow commands by others
by praising him and popping treats in his mouth. This turns out to be
utterly maddening to the types of people who want to take control by
giving commands to my dog, so it's nice negative reinforcement to them
and saves much explanation. /lol/ For folks who talk to my dog by name
or give him directions out of simple absent-mindedness, I figure it's no
big deal because my dog knows to wait for me to give the command then
praise for following it. It works to remind the good-willed person to
tell me and let me tell the dog, so that's a bonus. I get bored hearing
my own lectures on such subjects by about the 500th time per day, so the
double-duty operant conditioning method works well enough for me. /lol/

My husband is the worst offender for giving commands to the dog. I think
someone else mentioned that about their spouse, too. You would think he
would have gotten used to the idea that Mitzi would ignore him, but no.
I've spoken to him sternly a few times to prepare him to follow the
rules more strictly with Loki until Loki gets enough maturity and
experience to deal with it. I'm not working Loki yet, but we're getting
close, so I'll see how they both do. It will be interesting to see how
general public interactions change when he's in his guide harness and
there's no white cane involved.

Tami