[nagdu] I gotta go out - Claire Rose

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 02:04:54 UTC 2015

Hi Buddy:

Thanks for this website.  I checked it out.  Below I've pasted their
training tips for those of you who already have a bell and want to train
their dog to ring it.

Dog Potty Training with PoochieBells®

Since PoochieBells is a communication tool, any age or breed of dog can
learn this behavior quickly.

Step 1: Introduce
Hang PoochieBells inside the house on a doorknob or hook next to the door
your dog exits to go out and leave it there so it is accessible at all times
for your dog to ring.

Step 2: Associate and Be Clear
Every time you let your dog out to potty, bring the dog to the bells to
sniff, ring them, and state a command such as "Outside, ring your bells!",
praise the dog, then take him/her out to potty. We do not recommend playing
with or giving the dog a treat at that time. You want him/her to associate
ringing the bells with potty time only.

Step 3: Praise and Repeat
Throughout conditioning, continue your command, be consistent and praise
your dog for their attention and wanted behavior. Consistency is key.

Repeat this training method until your dog begins to ring the bells on their
own.

I've trained all my past guides to ring a bell or small wind chime that I
kept hanging on the door.  My last dog Tara would take her front paw and tap
on the door.  I didn't teach her this, her puppy raiser must have done it.
Eva goes to the door and cries.  I didn't teach her either so again, her
puppy raiser must have done it.  I think all the schools should instruct the
puppy raisers to make this part of their puppy training.

Sandra and Eva