[nagdu] I gotta go out - Claire Rose

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 03:52:27 UTC 2015

I think most dogs have their individual ways of letting us know that
they need to go out.
I recently did a group puppy handout, where I sat down with three or
four raisers and went through the paperwork and bag of goodies they
get along with their puppies. Obviously, some people are on their
first, while others have raised tens of pups. During the handout
discussion, one of the raisers asked me what they should teach the dog
to do to signify that it needs to go out. Another raiser piped up and
said, "Oh Honey, they all have different ways of telling us they need
to go out. It's up to us to either listen to the dog or clean up the
mess."
Another common adage from puppy-raisers is that you are house-trained
before the dog is. Before the dog can be counted on not to go indoors,
you quickly learn the signs of your specific pup that it needs to go
out.

I think this is true. I don't think I've ever seen a dog just stand up
and take a leak or a dump. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I
haven't seen it in healthy dogs.
Some dogs are very vocal about needing to go out, while others show
you rather than tell you. Some dogs will bark, whine, or groan. Some
will jump up on you, come sit quietly next to you, or nudge you. And
others will go sit by the door and maybe paw at it. And still others
just walk around and around, pace, or move around restlessly until
somebody gets the message or that unfortunate accident happens.
And we quickly reinforce that dog's particular signals. So if your
dog's initial signal was whining by the door after she learned that
going outside is where she does her business, then she continued doing
it because it got somebody to open the door up and take her to potty.
Because the Golden Guy was taken outside to get busy after coming to
sit by my puppy-raisers, he continues to use that signal to
communicate that he needs to go out.
So I think it's more of a learned thing on the part of the person
rather than the dog. Given, if one signal doesn't work, dogs will
sometimes step it up, anything to avoid doing their business in the
house.

One time, I thought the Golden Guy was begging for food because I had
some fruit and he sat down by my chair. I told him to lay down. So he
did, then he sat back up and huffed. Again, I cued him to lay down. He
went to lay down by the door. Then returned to me again and sat by me
and started groaning. Then he started pacing around and huffing. I
instantly realized that he needed to go outside. I felt horribly
because he is not the kind of dog who begs at all, but I immediately
thought he was begging because I had food. Fortunately, our dogs are
forgiving, and try to hold out as long as they can, especially that
time, because it was really bad diarrhea.

So all dogs do have their signs, but for those dogs who don't make an
auditory cue or don't come to get you if you're not in the same room,
teaching them to ring a bell is a great idea.

Should all puppy-raisers be taught to teach the dogs a certain
behavior. I'm not sure. From what I do know, puppy-raisers are taught
to relieve the dogs on a schedule. They tell you that for every month
the puppy gains in age, that's another hour they can hold their
bladder. Some people throw in "and add an hour to that." I wouldn't
risk it if your dog is not yet familiar with its environment. And
also, that goes out the window in the face of high amounts of physical
activity and increased water intake.
It really is a matter of knowing your dog.
For instance, you would think the Golden Guy would need to pee more if
he drinks more. I certainly did when I first got him, but that is not
the case. In the hotter months of July and August, the Golden Guy will
only pee about 2 times a day, at most 3 times. It makes no sense at
all, but if I take him outside more than that, he will just lay down
or sit in the grass and pant as if it is too hot to move. If he's
running around with other dogs and drinking water, it's a different
story, but any other day, going out twice  during the hotter months
suits him just fine.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs