[nagdu] I gotta go out - Claire Rose

Marilyn tucci t21114 at optonline.net
Sat Aug 8 11:24:41 UTC 2015

Hi David,
that's a good idea teaching Claire Rose to ring a bell to go out. Anna
lets me know by putting her head on my lap when she wants to go out. I
had another guide dog that would stare at the door . Claire Rose sounds
like a very smart dog and one that loves to work finding you things like
traffic buttons to press. I do love the find command.
Marilyn and Anna

 On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 03:55 PM, David via nagdu wrote:

 > One of the first things I wanted to do after we got home from GDF
earlier this month was to train my new guide dog to let me know when she
wanted to go out.  I hung a small cowbell on the door handle, placed my
fist above the bell and said, "Ring the bell."  I repeated this three
times, treating each time Clarie Rose rang the bell. Then I said, "Ring
the bell." without marking the bell with my fist.   It took a couple of
repeats as she figured out what to do.  When she rang the bell, I
treated and praised her.  We repeated that about four times.  Each time
when I  went out to relieve her after that, I said, "Ring the bell." and
didn't open the door until she rang the bell.  She picked that up pretty
quickly.  After two days of doing that, I took her to the door and said,
"Ring the bell for busy-busy."  Now when she starts fidgeting I say,
"Ring the bell if you need to busy-busy."   That was two days ago.
We're now working on the next step.  I suspect that she will start
ringing the bell on her own after a few more days as she closes in on
the association. I will add treats back in at first when she does this.
We had done this with another dog that was a pet, but I have to say, it
took a lot longer to get that pup to ring the bell completely on her
own.