[nagdu] I gotta go out

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 23:34:38 UTC 2015

Hello:

I realize they will lose some of their house behaviors during their time in
the kennel.  I think if they have a solid behavior of relieving and letting
you know, then it will come back to them quicker once they are out of the
kennel.  I had one dog who would only look at the door to let me know when
she wanted to go out.  Her puppy raiser said that whenever she looked toward
the door, she would let her out.  My point is to teach the dogs a non-visual
cue instead of a visual one.  If we knew how our dogs were taught in their
puppy homes, then we could immediately implement the same training and
behavior expectations once we get them home.  Of course, there is no
guaranty it will make any difference but, it might help.  It is always very
obvious to me when my new dogs had a learned behavior of indicating when
they needed to go out.  Most of my dogs were completely off leash from the
day we got home and have never had any accidents in the house.  One
suggestion for Tracy is to shut your bedroom door so Krokus cannot wander
all over the house.  You will hear him better if he is right there in your
bedroom.  I've done this with some of my previous dogs until they learned to
let me know when they needed out.  I've never had to stick with a very
strict schedule once my dogs learned to inform me of their needs.  This is
good because our lives do not always run according to a set schedule.  Due
to health issues I have many days when I may sleep in or when I am not able
to get the dog out as quickly so, having consistent training gives me the
assurance they will give me notice if they need to go out.  I find in the
hot weather that my dogs will need to go out more often because they are
drinking more water, especially after we've spent time playing or working
outside in the heat.  I know how frustrating house breaking problems can be.
A few of my previous dogs almost got sent back to the school because they
kept using my living room carpet as their relief spot.  Fortunately with
consistent training, they soon learned to ring the bells or small wind
chimes hanging on the door knob.

Sandra and Eva