[nagdu] Arbitrary restrictions on playing with future guide dogs

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 08:51:19 UTC 2015

I agree with you all the way Raven, and I think it very much has to do with
the dog. For years, I followed GDB's guidelines on toys, no balls, no soft
squeakies. Then I got my first golden in 1990. She was obsessed with balls.
She'd find them wherever we went. Not when she was working, but if we went
to a friend's house, and a ball was in a deep dark corner, she'd find it.
Eventually, I got her a big rubber ball. It was solid rubber, as big as her
mouth was wide pretty much, and she couldn't swallow or chew it. She was so
happy. She played with those things outside work hours and I really did a
great thing letting her have one. At the time, I lived in  San Diego working
at Nordstrom. One day I took a cab to work. We got to the store, I walked
through the mall, to my store, to the elevator, across the shopping area
down a hall and set of stairs to my office. My coworkers started laughing
and my boss told me to check my dog's mouth. And there was her big red ball.
She'd carried it all the way from home, and it never distracted her or made
her lose focus.

I haven't had a dog like balls in the same way since. But I've given all my
dogs since that one soft toys and they've all loved them and not chewed them
up much. I monitor them with the toys of course. Petunia likes to carry them
around or likes me to toss them down the hallway so she can go get them and
bring them back to me. I should try a ball with her maybe. It's hard for me
to play tug due to physical things, so letting her fetch toys and do a
little running in the yard with them is fun for us both.

Sherry