[nagdu] Arbitrary restrictions on playing with future guide dogs

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:51:22 UTC 2015

Vivianna,
I understand what you and Buddy are saying. At the same time, my point
was that if schools could believe that exposing pups to balls,
frisbees, tug toys, etc can ruin or hinder their work, how could the
same argument not apply to dogs with dog distractions being exposed to
other dogs?
You would think that dogs with strong dog distractions won't graduate,
and I did  as well before I went to get a guide dog. I've been working
such a dog for the past 3 years. He has a moderate-to-strong dog
distraction. When we walk close by other dogs, I have to use verbal
and sound cues to keep him focused and forward, otherwise, he will
pull toward the other dog, 7 times out of 10. My puppy-raisers said he
had a strong dog distraction as a pup, but they think it was not as
extreme during guide training, which is why he graduated. So it's
possible he regressed and the distraction increased after we got home.
I am personally willing and able to work such a dog since it is his
one and only flaw, and his guide work is perfect otherwise.

Like others, I think that people should be taught how to set rules
during playtime with their dogs. If you try to shred the toy, it
disappears. If you give me the toy, we keep playing. If you get rowdy
and rough, we stop playing. Informing people about establishing such
rules isn't impossible since they're already being educated about dog
training in the house and in public.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs