[nagdu] Puppy raising and going out in public

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:00:54 UTC 2015

At LDB, we give the puppy-raisers bandanas for their puppies. The pups
are too small for the jackets, so they have to wear the bandanas when
they work. I don't think the puppies can fit the jackets until they're
about 6 months old. Sometimes, we also give them the jacket upfront,
or the counsellor will give it to them later.

The pups can do some public access work, but they cannot visit any
high dog traffic areas until they've received all their vaccines.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs

On 8/12/15, The Pawpower Pack via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Danielle and Tracy,
> This is how I did it as well, I had a tiny puppy jacket and carried the
> puppy and did short trips for the first couple of months, mostly to outdoor
> areas.
> I'm thinking that different programs hand out the jackets at different ages,
> some when the puppy walkers get the dog and others when the dog is about 6-9
> months of age.
> I'm going to train my next dog from a puppy and plan to also start when the
> dog is very young.
>

>  Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
> Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
> Pawpower4me at gmail.com
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 12, 2015, at 1:46 PM, Danielle Cyclorama via nagdu
>> <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> It was an outdoor graduation. Dogs weren't allowed, pets that is, but it
>> still wouldn't have been terrible if she had an accident because it was
>> outside. She isn't completely housebroken, but she can handle short trips
>> into stores. She can also handle trips to restaurants because she won't
>> relieve while she is laying down with something to chew. She was not
>> allowed in pet stores until her 16 week shots so these short trips into
>> stores were The only experiences she had in public places. For the first
>> few weeks, she was carried part of the time in public, partially to limit
>> the chance of her relieving inappropriately and partially because she
>> didn't know how to walk on a leash. For puppy raisers that live in busier
>> areas, they could probably expose the puppy to a lot of experiences
>> outdoors before it is housebroken completely. Because of the area we live
>> in, The outdoor experiences are limited. Her excursions to public places
>> are still pretty limited because she is so young.
>>
>> Danielle, Thai,, and Bonnie
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 12, 2015, at 1:50 PM, Sherry Gomes via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I know GDB has some restrictions on where the pups can go until they've
>>> had
>>> their four-month shots. My dog's raiser for instance, works at a
>>> veterinary
>>> office and she can't take guide dog puppies to work with her until the
>>> pup
>>> has had the four-month shots. I'm not sure what other restrictions they
>>> have
>>> until that point.
>>>
>>> Sherry

>>> came
>>> home. Of course, she can only handle short trips since she is four
>>> months