[nagdu] Improving house behaviors of ENERGETIC dogs

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 21:35:06 UTC 2015

I personally am in favor of bending the rules a bit. I believe in
letting my dog be a dog, as long as he abides by my rules. I have let
him free-run, and I have let him run off leash in our yard, friends'
yards, my college's athletic field, and the play areas at LDB.
However, he has a solid off-leash recall. Nine times out of 10, he
comes running when I call him. Of course, I ensured that this was
established before I let him off leash anywhere. And fortunately, my
puppy-raisers did the same, so it was easy to train.

Letting your dog run off leash, or at least on a long line, and
allowing them to play with other dogs provides them with ways to burn
off steam.

When I lived in my college dorm and apartment, I played with the
Golden Guy in the hallways, running up and down the halls and the
stairs, playing fetch, and practicing recalls indoors, putting him in
a sit-stay down the hall while I walked to the other end, and calling
him to me. No one ever had an issue with us playing in the halls or
stairwells.

On days where we don't work much or at all, I take the Golden Guy for
4-5 mile walks. Not that you have to walk that far, but going for
leisure walks might also help. The Golden Guy really likes being
outside, and going for long walks allows him to get in good exercise
and burn off steam. I usually walk him out of harness during 80% of
the walk, and I let him walk on a long leash ahead of me. If I ask him
to heel, he does, so his loose-leash skills haven't been affected by
this at all.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs