[nagdu] Improving house behaviors of ENERGETIC dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 00:26:39 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Great suggestions!  :)

Julie, I looked at dog puzzles today when I was picking up a toy for
him.  I like them, but I am afraid he will destroy one.  Do dogs
usually understand what they're supposed to do with the dog puzzle
pretty quickly?  I think he would but have never seen a dog with one,
so I have misgivings...  I think I will try peanutbutter in his cong.
They suggested I freeze it and maybe include some of his dry dog food
too.

Debbie, I do let him run in circles.  I am happy to let him do this.
And I do agree that sometimes the high energy stuff gets to be too
much for both me and Billy Bob.  One of the things that his trainer
told me was that he is like a little kid sometimes; when he needs to
go to bed and be calm, he can act more energetic and refuse to listen.
That is when we don't allow playing, and he goes in his crate.

Julie, actually, yes, he gets the craziest after we come home and the
harness comes off.  The other time he goes the most insane is when
people come over.

Raven, I would let him play with other dogs and used to let my first
dog run in my dorm hallway when I lived in one with her.  But I have
neither hall nor stairs outside this building.  We don't even really
have a lawn...  And it wouldn't be safe for him to run out here, since
we have had problems with littering--and I mean glass on the ground
among other things.  I don't like my dogs to run in yards unless I can
chase them or I have a person to watch what they're doing.  Too much
experience with a dog who could throw up at the slightest strangeness
in her stomach.  So that rule I doubt I will ever break, but I would
love a place to take him on long line, especially so I could work on
his recall.  I think a leasure walk might be good.  I used to allow a
friend to run with him, but due to some of the work issues were
experiencing last year, I don't feel comfortable doing that yet.  But
I can certainly take him on walks or even jogs.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this!

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind of Missouri second vice president,