[nagdu] Skipping driveways

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Fri Aug 21 13:08:47 UTC 2015

I like all of your suggestion Julie. Very well written post!
Jennifer, just one more suggestion that may help, you can try counting your steps. For example, after you cross so and so street, you walk about 20 paces/steps before you get to your driveway. Once you know you are getting close, you can direct your dog with a moving turn into the driveway. Many dogs will become familiar with the places you visit regularly, so he/she may automatically show you the driveway to your apartment. My dogs have had a lot of initiative, which I really like. My first guide, would naturally stop to show me certain driveways,  like if they were slanted, steep, or cut-out. I also taught my dogs to treat very busy driveways (like the entrance into a restaurant) as curbs, so he would stop and show it to me, then I would direct him when it was safe to cross.
Your trainer can give you more tips on how to pattern your dog to your normal routes. You have a great advantage of actually working in your home environment during training.
I can't wait to hear when they find you the perfect match!
Deanna